Monday, November 12, 2012

Holidays are upon us

Since this is my first holiday season on Etsy, I feel as though I'm the blind leading the blind. I have no idea what to carry in stock, so I guess I will just hold steady with the inventory that I have and let the chips fall where they may. Right now, I have a very limited number of prints on hand and the turnaround time for the printer is almost 2 weeks. I wish we had a local printer here. I have a feeling that a home printer may be in my future if I keep running into problems. Next year I hope to be better prepared.

One thing I have noticed is that admiring other artists work is both a blessing and a curse. It is very easy to get caught up in negative thoughts while comparing oneself to others. Some days I just don't feel very secure in my abilities. These are the days when it's best not to venture off to someone else's gallery. Does this feeling ever go away? Wishing that we were better?

Currently I'm painting Christmas ornaments on canvas - mini canvases, actually: 2.75 inches in diameter. I have several that keep with my ever growing tree theme: pine cones, bird nests, tree branches,etc.

I'm quite enjoying it, but have decided to limit my work to less than twenty of these unless I get a specific order. I'm ready to move on to winter scenes.

3 comments:

Kyra said...

You never stop feeling insecure, but it's worth looking at it as just realizing that 1) your art is not the same as everyone else's which is part of why it's unique, and 2) there is always more to learn and grow (otherwise it'd be boring!)

I want the top pine cone one!

Ellen said...

Thanks, K. I am having one of those moments (after of course, surfing around at the talent that surrounds me) You are right, though. Thanks for the reminder :)

Roz @ weightingfor50 said...

BEAUTIFUL Ellen. I'm so happy I can comment here, as I seem to be locked off your other site. I read all the time, and am sending good wishes your way! R